Translate

Friday, July 22, 2016

24) Roller coaster ride from hell

Forgive the profanity in the title.  I am going crazy with frustration AND confusion at the moment.

First of all, Sasha had a pretty good day at camp- I'd give him a B overall for his behavior. He brought food to share with the camp (veggies, homemade hummus dips, cheese and low carb chocolate macaroons).  He was happy to share the food with the campers and counselors and was in a good mood.  Unfortunately, I underestimated the food and there wasn't enough for the afternoon snack so the director had to take out his usual supply of snack which was the crackers and watermelon.  Sasha ended up trying to convince him to let him have some of the cracker snacks but the director held firm- he had a mini meltdown but the director used a lighthearted attitude and was able to cajole Sasha out of going into a darker mood.  He then asked me by text if he could give Sasha some watermelon and I said it was fine.  Sasha ended up eating 1.5 pieces which was totally reasonable.  I was glad that his food intake today was reasonable and moderate but less glad that he tried to argue his way into convincing the director to give him food he wasn't supposed to eat.  Luckily, there were no meltdowns today and the day ended well for Sasha.

Meanwhile... I was at home today and decided to do some snooping and found a pretty good sized cache of chocolate bars and empty wrappers in his drawer.  Grrrrrrrr.... as you can imagine, I was livid.  I felt unspeakable anger and demoralization.  I will let you imagine what I felt in discovering the hidden chocolate as it impacts the oxytocin experiment, never mind his weight, fatigue and all the complex hormones that are implicated with these symptoms.  I wondered to myself, why the hell am I working so f-ing hard to help my son if he was going to sabotage himself and this opportunity for a solution to his worst problems?

After some very helpful venting to the PWS Facebook community (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!), I took in the very helpful counsel and told myself that this was the nature of the beast and that the beast is still alive and well despite whatever the oxytocin was doing (or not doing).  I have even received some funny (not ha ha funny, but the other kind of funny) compliments like, "wow- at least he was capable of hoarding it and saving it for later- my kid would have eaten the entire stash in one sitting!"  So- I decided that I would play it cool.  I removed the remaining chocolate bars from the wrappers and confiscated them, leaving the empty wrappers behind in the drawer.  I took pictures to show his dad.  I told myself that I would just carry on as usual with no mention to him about the contraband chocolate.  After all, what is he going to do about it?  Tell me that I raided his chocolate cache?  Ha!

I picked the kids up from camp today and didn't say a word.  The afternoon is going surprisingly well.  We are entertaining new friends tonight for dinner and the boy in the family was got dropped off to have a playdate with Sasha this afternoon  At this moment as I am writing this, Sasha and this boy (L) have been playing with their Magic the Gathering cards for the last HOUR! First of all, this might be the very first social interaction he has had with another kid his age in our home in a very long time...! What's more- Sasha HAS NOT ASKED FOR A SNACK ALL AFTERNOON!!!!!!  He appears to be thoroughly entertained with this social interaction and has forgotten about food- or something!  I am just hanging out here in another room and keeping a low profile- any second now, he will probably ask for a snack but I am pretty thrilled that it is now 5:10 PM and he has not had anything to eat (as far as I know) since his afternoon snack at 2 PM when he ate the 1.5 pieces of watermelon.

Do you see the rollercoaster effect and why I am so confused??????  What do you make of this?

Your thoughts, reactions and comments are appreciated!  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. are you sure the hidden stash was recent? maybe it had been there and he had forgotten about it since being on oxytocin?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea when he got the chocolate- my husband searched his room in the last several weeks and didn't find any chocolate- we suspect it was purchased or stoeln sometime in the last week. I'm pretty sure he has been eating it all along- he was caught eating chocolate by his camp director on Tuesday. At least it explains his weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has also been pointed out to me that normal kids (those without HO) keep hidden stashes of sweet treats- yes, true. It is entirely possible that this hidden chocolate is indicative of nothing abnormal... Any kid (especially one who comes by his chocoholic M naturally...his dad is one too) who is deprived of something he really really wants will try to be either covert or openly rebellious about getting what he wants... Just wish it didn't confound the oxytocin experiment!

    ReplyDelete