Translate

Sunday, October 23, 2016

48) Trees falling silently in the forest

We've got Sasha on a daily 9 iu dose of oxytocin from the pharmacy we used in September which was the month when we started to notice a drop in his weight.  He's had more weight loss over the week- from 74 down to 72.6 kilos in a week.   He was sick with the stomach flu last week which may explain the precipitous drop in his weight over the week.  I didn't notice any particular hyper focus on food over the week, likely due to his upset GI system.  However, I did find some Kind bar wrappers in his trash can over the week which led me to believe that he had been sneaking bars.  I even suspected that he had somehow gotten a hold of a copy of the cabinet/fridge key which caused me to rush off to the hardware store to replace the locks.  Ugh. I'm not sure what I hate more... getting into intense power struggles with him about food or getting along with him well and learning about surreptitious behaviors after the fact.  What a choice!

To my dismay he continues to act in sneaky ways around food.  Fortunately, he is somehow able to keep his food intensity private and avoid engaging in fights with me about it.  After finding out about the Kind bars that he snuck, I felt tempted to just say "f- it" and to just give him the box of Kind bars to keep for the week as his snack.  However, I don't think he is disciplined enough to pace himself and would probably eat up the box of bars too quickly.  Even so, if the oxytocin is doing something for his metabolism by helping him lose weight despite any extra food he sneaks, is there any real harm in allowing him the freedom to indulge?  If Sasha continues to keep his weight stable/lower, does that make us irrationally hyper-vigilant about his eating behaviors if we continue to monitor him so closely?  Although our oxytocin experiment is not intended to be about Sasha's weight loss (yes, I know I keep saying that!), Sasha is now approaching the weight he was when we started the experiment five months ago (and when he was at least 2 inches shorter).   If he continues to lose weight or even if he just keeps his weight stable, he may cease to be overweight...and wouldn't we look like food-Nazi parents if we continued to food-police skinny Sasha???  At what point do we trust and let go?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Sasha "sneaks" extra food but keeps his weight stable or loses weight, did he really overeat?

No comments:

Post a Comment