Translate

Sunday, October 2, 2016

46) Upping oxytocin to 9 iu daily to counter increased food intensity/appetite

In the last week, Sasha has had a couple of mini-meltdowns after being caught sneaking food (once at school in an opportunistic manner and another time at home when he broke the rules and snuck some extra nuts and salami during an exposure session).  His appetite appears to be increasing slowly over the last few weeks.  Interestingly, his weight has continued to decline despite his increased focus on food.  Nevertheless, I am inclined to see if increasing his oxytocin dose from 6 iu to 9 iu daily will help attenuate his increased appetite again.  I don't mind his having a robust appetite. However, I do mind getting into arguments with him about food and having to deal with a certain obsessive intensity that is reminiscent of the HO Monster... We'll see if the increase to 9 iu helps (or not)...

Well- I wrote the above paragraph in the morning and gave him the 9 iu.  Now it is 5:30 PM. I have no idea if the increased dose could be affecting him so quickly but he was definitely LESS focused on food today! Three good signs of note:

1) He ate a modest sized salad and half-grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and didn't seem to need more.

2) He had an opportunity to go grocery shopping with his dad and he ALWAYS goes when given the chance.  Today he was invited to go and he DECLINED.  I want to emphasize that this is the first time in five years that he has declined an offer to go shopping for groceries when given the chance- usually he BEGS to go and has a mini-meltdown when I tell him that I don't want to take him (due to his history of stealing and pocketing food at the store).

3) His sister is in the kitchen (as I am typing away on this posting) right now making a dessert.  Sasha is in his room doing homework.   I repeat:  Sasha is NOT IN THE KITCHEN while dessert is being made.  The Sasha we have known before oxytocin has always had a difficult time removing himself from the proximity of food.

When I remarked to him about how he turned down the chance to go grocery shopping and how he didn't mind having his sister bake without him, he was cool about it and merely said, "yeah, I just wasn't really in the mood- I wanted to look at my new Magic cards and get ahead on my homework for the week."

Here is what Sasha left unfinished on his dinner plate tonight.

Only time will tell if this increased 9 iu dose continues to help him have a more mellow and dispassionate attitude about food!

2 comments: