Translate

Sunday, March 19, 2017

77) So far, so good: taking low dose melatonin and 6 iu oxytocin, "less is more"

http://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

The lesson I have learned about dosing with OT and MT is that maybe less is more. I have also picked up a new fancy-pants word: tachyphylaxis. During the period of time we noticed worsening symptoms, it was suggested that perhaps Sasha had been overdosed on OT and/or was experiencing tachyphylaxis, a rapid appearance of progressive decrease in response to a given dose after repetitive administration of a pharmacologically or physiologically active substance.

How it's been explained to me regarding OT; sometimes a dose that is too high may bind to vasopressin receptors, producing adverse effects (increased food seeking, moodiness and irritability).  It's been explained to me that taking a too-high dose of OT may not only be ineffective, it can burn out OT receptors and sometimes prolonged dosing may cause desensitization to the OT.   What I am reporting is from a layperson level of understanding from my (email) correspondence with OT researchers so please take this information as a lay person's generalized summary of what's been explained to me.  From what I gather, there is insufficient research to demonstrate OT's long term effects.  I can say that I have learned anecdotal information from my OT researcher connections that the antidote to this overdosing may require a washout period- that is, a complete detox from the drug.  Anecdotally speaking, some cases have benefitted from a washout period and have been able to then regain therapeutic benefit, sometimes even at a lower dose than the dose given before the washout.

Due to the appearance of regressive behaviors during the 9 iu OT dose and after consulting with some OT experts, I had considered having Sasha go through an OT washout.  Fortunately, Sasha's behaviors (and weight) seemed to settle down after resuming the 6 iu OT dose.  It seems that he is also gaining some additional benefit from the lower dose MT so far.  Again, time will tell and for now, we'll hang in there with the 6 iu OT dose and the .3 mg MT dose- as always, observing with eyes wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment